Rental fraud is sadly becoming more and more prevalent in our Industry and it’s tainting what we’ve all worked so hard for – it’s time to take a stand, make changes, protect our guests and our industry and stamp out the criminals who regularly elude the authorities.
I-Prac : International Property Rental Approval Certification
Chris is the founder of I-Prac, the verification platform that approves property owners and rental agencies around the world, protecting travellers from rental fraud. What that means in real terms though – is protecting families planning exciting holidays and looking forward to creating special memories together from arriving on their long planned and awaited trip only to find their dream villa they paid that huge £5k deposit for….doesn’t actually exist. The knock on effect of protecting travellers, is protecting us and our Industry.
Protecting Ourselves & Our Guests
There’s some things you come to learn as you enter the world of Holiday Letting – most of it is great, some of it is not so great. And some of it you can’t believe goes on and just shouldn’t happen at all.
Rental fraud is one of those things that should never happenCHRIS MAUGHAN
- Chris has an extensive background in the Holiday Let Industry – he shares how he got started why I-Prac came about
- The name – I-Prac – what’s it all about – why is it named that way, what does I-Prac mean?
- Chris shares what inspired him to start the company? How long has it been running?
- Chris tells us about an experience here that has never left him – a family of guests in Cannes who were stuck there with no accommodation and no money after being defrauded out of their sizeable rental deposit
How Widespread is Rental Fraud?
- We talk about how widespread rental fraud is and look at just how sophisticated the criminals involved are.
- We talk about what are authorities doing to counter this atrocious crime and how often rental fraudsters are actually caught
Recently In The News: Rental Fraud in Spain
You can read the article that we discussed on the podcast from the UK newspaper The Sun, sharing how one Brit was defrauded out of £5k as recently as Easter 2019 – click here to read the full article.
- Let’s look at how I-Prac works from a guest perspective – how can I-Prac help the traveller know that the place they are booking is real? What are the costs involved?
- Tell us how I-Prac works from the owners perspective – benefits, ease of use, cost, how to let travelers know you’re registered with I-Prac.
- How do we register as owners – is it done once time only?
- I-Prac were one of the main sponsors of The Short Stay Show which took place on 14th March 2019 at Excel London. How did I-Prac get involved with the show and what made you want to be part of the STAA (Short Term Accommodation Association)
- Chris shares his guiding philosophy to help individual holiday home owners in today’s market?
Find Out More – STAA & The Short Stay Show
Listen to the Podcast with Merilee Karr where we talk about The Short Term Accommodation Association
Listen to the Podcast with Diane Lloyd , co-creator of The Short Stay Show and find out what the show was all about
Listen to the podcast where I review The Short Stay Show and hear clips ad feedback from the exhibitors and attendees from the day
Get in Touch with Chris at I-Prac
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to the HLS podcast to keep up with the latest Holiday Letting Advice? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode and I’m adding a few bonus episodes in the next few weeks and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Whilst you’re there, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other Holiday Home Owners find my podcast. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite episode of the podcast is. Thank you!Edit